2:35 PM on Monday, June 14, 2004
Life....

Okies. Its been a nice weekend and its a very hectic Monday to start the week (Its almost time to go home now). My uncle (Rakesh Mama) was here for the weekend and we had a pretty good time with him. I realize at times like these that my life as a bachelor is not what my parents or elders would feel remotely comfortable with. Half the things in my room are in a mess (quickly dumped below the bed to give some area to walk on ;) and the kitchen hardly contains enough stuff to make tea (coffee is not the house, sorry). Its a tough task to find more than 2 cups which are of the same design or size and the windows have enough dust on them to make them look naturally coloured brown..... amazing how these things don't attract your attention on a normal 'non-parent-association' working day since I and my room mate don't usually cook at home anyways and by the time I enter home its dark enough not to notice any weird colours in any part of the room under the tubelight. I'm pretty certain that after seeing my place all elders in my family will thank God that I'm getting married soon.

But I digress, coming back to the weekend.... On Saturday, Mama and both of us (I and Vrushali) walked around a whole lot of Bangalore and were driven around (in an auto-rickshaw) even more than that. The matter of search: real estate. The search was an eye-opener for the most parts since the property rates turned out to be even higher than poor-old-me thought they were. But it was better to find that out now than later. We stopped only for a brief lunch throughout the hops. The high point was the wonderful dinner to end the day....

Sunday morning, I continued to display my love for badminton for the third straight week.... partly to my own surprise ;) One hour and 2 broken shuttles later I and my friends returned home. Then again the trio (Mama, me and Vrushali) were off. Met my aunt and had another good meal with their family. Went to see off Mama at the railway station after that. That concluded a rather nice and tiring weekend.

Evolution

I finally managed to get some time to download newly released testing binaries of Evolution (1.5.9.1) and see first hand what so many people were praising. I join that crowd as far as the neatness of the new GUI is concerned.... Installation was not so much of a breeze as I thought it would be, but since my system at office is not a standard Fedora configuration (its a result of numerous RPM upgrades of RH 9.0) I half-expected things to break anyways.... I had to remove the evolution data created by the older evo and move the older gconf entries out of the way too. Then Evo 2 beta came up nicely. The disappointment was that I lost a few old mails in the inbox of Evo 1.4 and had to configure my account and re-create my mail filters all over again (basically start from scratch). Logged in to IRC to see what I did wrong and learn a few tips in case installation should have been more easy for me anyways. Happened to meet NotZed who showed me how to reclaim my 'Sent' mails from Evo 1.4.... Was very pleased to get that done. Now, I just need to get my addressbook imported again. But that, my friends, is another story :)

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home